When installed correctly and taken care of well, a carpet installation can last over 20 years. We know someone who vacuumed regularly, had a professional cleaning every 18 months, wiped spills immediately, and raised a puppy. Her carpet lasted 23 years!
Why is professional cleaning so important?
Simply, it makes it last longer. Soil and dirt can be sharp and fray fibers and, while vacuuming gets the surface dirt, you may be shocked to see little piles of soil if you dig deep into the rug's pile. That's what happens because rugs trap particles that vacuuming can't get; the only thing that removes them is deep cleaning.
What's more, dirt attracts dirt, so a dirty rug will eventually become even messier. That is also one of the leading causes of carpet crushing; many think crushing is caused by wear, but dirty carpets cause it. They become heavy, matted, flattened, and lose resiliency.
If you need further information, don't hesitate to come to us, your carpet store in Central Falls, RI.
How to care for carpet
You might want to develop a regular schedule, so the cleaning becomes automatic. We would recommend the following:
- Vacuum at least once a week, more often if you have heavy foot traffic or pets.
- Wipe spills immediately, so they don't set.
- Get a professional deep cleaning every 12 to 18 months. It's essential to also look at your warranty because many manufacturers include a stipulation to clean every so often professionally.
- Don't pull a snag; it's like a sweater -pull one thread, and the whole thing unravels.
- Move furniture every so often, so it doesn't set with dents. If they do occur, slide the edge quarter over the area to encourage fibers to stand up.
- Put mats at entrances, so people wipe their feet outside, not on your rug.
When choosing carpet, consider your lifestyle, so you get the most closely aligned with your needs. For instance, if you have a large family with kids and pets, you'll most likely need more stain resistance and durability than a small, quiet family of two. Then, come into the Massud & Sons Floor Covering showroom in Central Falls, RI, to learn more and get a free quote. We work with homeowners and businesses in and around Smithfield, Seekonk, Providence, and Pawtucket.